How Can a Criminal Defense Lawyer Help Me?
November 1, 2020
Criminal charges in New Jersey can be severe, leading to jail time and a criminal record, which can impact your employment opportunities. Navigating the N.J. criminal justice system can be confusing. As such, there are many reasons to consider working with a criminal defense lawyer.
How Your Criminal Defense Lawyer Will Help With Your Case
One of the first things that you should do after being charged with a crime, is to find a criminal defense lawyer to represent you. The potential legal consequences are too great, so you need a lawyer that can help you with things like:
- Navigating your legal case: Navigating the New Jersey criminal system can be confusing. Your criminal defense lawyer will help you schedule court dates, prepare for upcoming sessions, and guide you on what to expect throughout the entire process.
- Ensure your rights are protected: You have legal rights, even when you are facing criminal charges. Your lawyer will stick by your side and ensure that these rights are protected. This means rights like a right to a speedy trial.
- Prepare your legal defense: There are legal defenses available to criminal charges. It is important to explore these to determine the best defense strategy for your case.
- Inform you of any programs: New Jersey does have first-time offender and rehabilitation programs available to some individuals. These programs can help you stay out of jail. They may also help you reduce your charges in return for probation or community service.
Your criminal defense lawyer will become your trusted resource while you navigate the criminal justice defense system. Understanding the process and knowing what to expect at different points can help you prepare for your case. While many criminal cases are settled through a plea agreement, we are prepared to take your case to trial, if that is the best move.
It is also likely that you will have a lot of questions. Choosing a criminal defense lawyer who is willing to answer these questions is important. We understand the implications of criminal charges and how it can impact your life, meaning we fight for your rights, giving you the quality legal representation that you deserve.
Types of Criminal Cases Your Lawyer Will Defend
Our lawyers have ample experience defending clients facing criminal charges of all types. These are just a few of the types of criminal cases your lawyer will defend:
- DUI/DWI charges
- Local and federal drug charges
- Gun crimes
- Domestic violence
- Terroristic threats
- Sex crimes
- Identity theft
These are just a few of the types of crimes that a criminal defense lawyer can help with. However, it is important that you reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure we have time to build your case. Building a criminal defense case requires that we collect, and evaluate, all the details of your charges. Then, we will need to consider the available defenses, and determine if any of them apply to your case.
Contact an Experienced Union County Criminal Defense Lawyer About Your Criminal Charges in New Jersey
Were you arrested or charged with a crime in New Jersey? The consequences of a conviction could be severe, leaving you with a permanent criminal record and possibly even sending you to jail. That is why you need to speak with a qualified criminal defense attorney as soon as possible about your case. The attorneys at Zegas Law have successfully represented clients charged with criminal charges in Essex County, Union County, Morris County, Middlesex County, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 379-1999 or fill out the online contact form to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team. We have an office conveniently located at 60 Morris Turnpike, Summit, NJ 07901.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.
Disorderly conduct consists of any improper behavior such as fighting, threats of violence, or creating a dangerous atmosphere.