Elizabeth, NJ Criminal Defense Lawyers
Knowledgeable Criminal Defense Lawyers Help Clients Fight Charges in Elizabeth, New Jersey
When you are charged with a crime in Union County, the prosecution will go to work immediately to bring the strongest case possible to convict. Even if they have not already been investigating your case, they will throw substantial resources into prosecuting because their reputation is on the line. You need the best possible criminal defense lawyer by your side to even the score.
At Zegas Law, we use our detailed understanding of the law and the legal system to compose the best defense strategy available. We don’t just base our case on the evidence provided by the prosecution—we aren’t afraid to get our hands dirty and conduct our own comprehensive investigation.
Every story has two sides and we are committed to presenting your defense in the most persuasive possible light. That’s one reason we keep our practice small. When we accept your case, our actual lawyers will put in the hard work needed to develop a defense aimed at helping you avoid jail time, fines and extensive reputational damage if possible.
To learn more about our practice and our commitment to expert, comprehensive criminal defense, call our Elizabeth, NJ criminal defense lawyers for a free and confidential consultation today.
Our Criminal Practice Areas in Elizabeth Cover All Areas of Criminal Defense
At Zegas Law, our principal focus is on criminal defense. Over decades of practical experience, we have developed the strong legal skills needed to take on the prosecution in any type of criminal case. Our criminal practice includes:
- White collar defense. White collar crimes are financial in nature. Because of the complex issues involved and the interplay between New Jersey and federal law, you need a lawyer with a proven track record of successfully handling these cases. At Zegas Law, we have been recognized as one of the leading white collar defense firms.
- Violent crimes. Violent crimes present complications of their own. Evidentiary issues and emotional reactions can cloud the judgment of judges and juries alike. Our lawyers are here to build a strong, clear and effective defense strategy whether you have been accused of assault, sexual assault or even homicide.
- Theft crimes. From shoplifting to embezzlement at the corporate level, you need a strong lawyer by your side even if you have no prior criminal history.
- Juvenile crimes. The New Jersey criminal justice system focuses on rehabilitation over punishment when a crime is punished as a juvenile matter. Importantly, you need a strong lawyer who will advocate to make sure your charge is heard as a juvenile matter to avoid even harsher consequences when prosecuted as an adult.
- Weapons charges. Weapons offenses are punished harshly in Union County. The Graves Act and the No Early Release Act both work against defendants in these cases by imposing mandatory minimum jail sentences even for first offenders in some cases—and even if you did not even realize you were committing a crime by carrying your lawfully purchased gun.
We also defend charges of:
- Domestic violence,
- Restraining orders,
- Drug crimes,
- Federal drug charges,
- Terroristic threats,
- Child pornography,
- Sexual assault,
- Insurance fraud,
- Healthcare fraud,
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud,
- Internet crimes,
- Identity theft,
- Credit card fraud,
- Tax fraud and evasion,
- Securities fraud,
- And more.
At Zegas Law, we are committed to providing cutting-edge legal defense regardless of the charges you are facing. Call our office today to schedule a free and confidential consultation
Why Choose Zegas Law to Handle Your Elizabeth, NJ Criminal Matter
Except in the most complex of cases, many clients initially wonder whether investing in an experienced criminal defense lawyer is necessary. The answer in nearly every case is a resounding yes, for several reasons:
- An experienced criminal defense lawyer knows the procedures and court rules and will make sure your case is not harmed by a simple administrative error that could easily be made by someone lacking criminal experience,
- We understand the options available in your case and can advise you on the pros and cons of various options—even pre-trial intervention has its negative consequences,
- We can help you weed out the weak criminal charges the prosecution may throw at you to convince you to accept a guilty plea,
- We understand which types of defense strategies are likely to work in various scenarios,
- In some cases, because of our significant and wide-ranging experience, the judge may even be familiar and we can use that information to shed light on how to best proceed with your case.
At Zegas Law, our Union County criminal defense lawyers have been trusted with some of the most high-profile cases of the past decade. We know what it takes to effectively defend and counsel in your criminal matter regardless of complexity. To learn more about how we can help in your specific case, schedule a free consultation to tell us what happened today.
Contact Our Respected Elizabeth, NJ Criminal Defense Lawyers for a Free Consultation Today
Your future and your freedom are too important to trust to an inexperienced lawyer. Our Elizabeth criminal defense lawyers boast decades of effective and respected legal practice. Schedule a confidential case review by calling our office or filling out this online contact form today.
About Elizabeth, NJ
Elizabeth is the county seat of Union County, New Jersey, and is also the largest city in Union County with about 128,885 residents as of 2018. Elizabeth functions as a transportation hub in the area—parts of Newark airport are technically located in Elizabeth and the Port Elizabeth-Newark Marine Terminal is one of the world’s busiest ports. Portions of Elizabeth also benefit from the New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone designation (so enjoys a reduced sales tax).
Frequently Asked Questions About Elizabeth, NJ Criminal Defense Law
Call our office to discuss options. In some cases, we may be able to arrange to have you turn yourself in. If this is the case, you could avoid an embarrassing public arrest, keeping your legal troubles out of the eyes of prying neighbors and business associates.
Not unless they have a search warrant. Whether they produce a search warrant or not, it’s important to remain calm. You should also call an experienced criminal defense lawyer even while they are searching your home.