About Alan L. Zegas
Named one of the 50 most interesting people in New Jersey by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, our founding attorney, Alan L. Zegas has received some of the highest accolades that are awarded to members of the legal profession, including consistently receiving the highest available AV rating that the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell rating service awards. Named one of the top ten criminal defense lawyers in Northern New Jersey by Digital Press International, Mr. Zegas has devoted his practice to providing the highest possible quality legal representation to clients from all walks of life.
U.S. News and World Report and The Best Lawyers in American have recognized the skilled legal counsel provided by our lawyers at Zegas Law as recently as 2019, when it included our firm in the top rankings in three distinct practice areas: Criminal Law: White Collar Defense, Criminal Law: Non-White Collar Defense and Appellate Practice. We have also consistently been recognized among the “Super Lawyers” of New Jersey, which uses a peer-review system to evaluate the level of skill exhibited by a practicing attorney.
Examples of the types of high-profile cases we handle in North Jersey and New York include:
- Acted as counsel to the government’s key witness in the highly publicized “Bridgegate” case
- Served as co-counsel to Newark’s former mayor, Sharpe James
- Served as counsel to the chief of staff of New York City’s former mayor, Edward Koch
- Served as counsel to the defendant in the “Glen Ridge” sexual assault case, which was written about in a best-selling non-fiction sociology book used in college courses
- Acted as counsel to Kelly Michaels in a case that fundamentally altered the laws that apply when children are questioned in sexual assault cases
Our attorneys are also actively involved in the legal community, and our commitment to remaining at the cutting edge of legal practice shows through in our substantial involvement in legal education and scholarship, including participation by our founding attorney, Mr. Zegas, in:
- Sitting by designation on the Evidence Committee of the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Serving on various subcommittees, including the Criminal Practice Committee and the Criminal Jury Charge Committee in past years
- Serving as editor of Lexis/Nexis’ “NJ Criminal Procedure” publication
- Serving as co-editor of Gann Law Books’ “New Jersey Evidence” publication
- Regularly lecturing on Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence Law and Appellate Practice at the Institute of Continuing Legal Education – which, in 2009, gave Mr. Zegas its award for distinguished service to the Bar
- Acting as a legal expert for prestigious newspapers and magazines throughout the country, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Business Week, The Star-Ledger, The Philadelphia Inquirer and The NJ Law Journal
- Featured on TV and radio news programs of major broadcast stations, such as 60 Minutes, nationally.
- Serving as adjunct faculty at Rutgers Law School-Newark, as Editor-In-Chief of the Rutgers Law Review, and as a grader of the New Jersey Bar Examination in past years
- A past trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, a past President of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, and a past Chair of the Criminal Law Section of the New Jersey Bar Association
- Currently serving on the editorial board of the New Jersey Law Journal